evo8 vs st205 vs sti

burden

well i have videos of the japanese running sti vs evo8, and the evo laps faster and doesn't have the chronic understeer like the sti. i was wondering where the st205 fits in this arena? other alltac models also included in this, of course, i just list the st205 because it's the latest of the awd celicas, but if an early st chassis can hold up to an evo8's laptime, let me know! i just wanna know what the outcome of a track race would be and if anybody knows of videos showing the celica vs the evo lemme know! thanks in advance-

XoDuzZ

the evo 8 must have been heavily modded or the STI driver was blid.

no idea why a sti should beat an EVo. Oh ya - you ahve to realize both of those cars can hit 60 in what... 5 sec flat? I think the celica can corner better than an STI, maybe not as nice as the Evo, but i also know it gets to 60 in about 6 secconds.. and doesn't have 300 horse power.

busdriver

I have a Top Gear (BBC show) where they put the evo 8 and the STI up against each other. The evo has a significantly lower track time than the STI. I'm putting the vid on FTP right now but it's a biggie, so even w/ cable it might be a bit.

illGT4

XoDuzZ":2vdda5mp said:
the evo 8 must have been heavily modded or the STI driver was blid.

That's not the case at all..

an EVO will def. keep up with an STi on the track..

My friend and co-worker, Alex, has a stock EVO. Another guy who is at my work often, Frank, has a stock STi.

They both ran lap times less than a half second apart, and took turns driving eachothers cars.

FWIW, the STi brakes faded easier and the EVO turned in better. Top Speeds were around the same (2mph +, -)

OlyST185

no matter what ill choose an STI anyway.
why?
mistubushi has very weak drivetrain (subaru too, but not weak as mitsubishi's)
subaru has boxer 4 (ooh yeah i love the sound)

but anyway i way more prefer an ST185 RC than those even if its slower.
why, because it as a indestructible drivetrain (look at pat he got 10.89) with a stock transmission. i know ppl with STI and such with times like low 13 high 12 with their tranny and broke em up.
and WRX has problem with headgasket.

god bless the heavy duty Gt-Four

roo

the STI has problems with their variable valve timing and boost.....i'de take an STI, swap it with either a JDM STI engine or a base model WRX engine and work from there....

and suspension-wise, the EVO will drive circles around the STI stock for stock....after I get my car back together we'll find out how a modified ST185 fares against them on a few tracks...

burden

wtshit, i saw a top gear show as well (dunno if it's the same as yours, i'm currently downloading it :D) but they showed that the sti had slower lap times than the evo but that they would still prefer the "impreza" and had no idea why...i think they liked the sound and untamedness of it all. anywho, sti's are pushing 15 psi, right? evos....dunno. isn't the st205 at 7or 8 psi?? i guess what i'm getting at here is....let's leave all cars stock EXCEPT boost them at the same pressure. suspension, displacement, exhuast size, turbo...all that stays stock. can the st205 hold its own on a track agains the evo and sti??

CMS-GT4

I think a stock 205, with a great driver can beat both evo and sti on a short couse. If its a shorter couse with little or no straights then hp will be less of a factor. In my 185 (with coilovers and skinny street tires and less the nstock power) kept up with a modified sti on R compound in autox. I think he was a fraction of a second ahead. Then again, the stock alltrac handling is better on longer turns then short course. If the 205 is setup the same as the alltrac, then maybe a longer course will be better.
I think there were a conciderable amount of things changed to the 205 that would make it better on the short course. Superstrut being one of them.

muneo

I have a video that tests the st205, sti and evo from 94'. I was actually pretty impressed w/ the st205. I thought with its weight problem it would perform waaay worse than the other two. But it put down a 13.38mph in the quarter vs the sti/evos 13.11mph. On the track it got second to last while the sti got 1st and the evo 2nd. I forgot by how much slower it was but it didn't do to well. Of course a sandy rally track might have been a little different story.

furpo

we are not comparing apples with apples. the st205 is nearly 10 years old now so the other two cars have had 10 years more development.

yes the toyota is built very well. thats why i have one. and it was a world beater in it's day (well maybe not the st205, the st185 definatly was) at the end of the day though the newer cars are quicker than the older cars.

a better question would be would a st205 beat a evo 8 or new sti with the same value of modifications done to it. the answer is hell yeah :p :p :p 8) 8) :D :D :D :evil:

roger

burden

"same value of modifications"....to what components? what is it specifically that is holding back the st205 when compared to the sti and the evo? first off, what is the weight difference between the three? i can't imagine the st205 weighs all that much more than either of the others. brakes? suspension? i guess i'm just not seeing where the st205 falls very short. i could research this to death with numbers...but i find conversation more fun-

busdriver

I think there is a definite technology difference between the evo and the 205 at least, the evo has a pretty nifty traction setup (the vid goes over it) and runs higher boost than the 205 if I remember correctly, the sti has half a liter more for engine, and runs more boost also. The 205 was made more so the everyday driver could get in and put in a pretty damn good lap time with minimal experience. An all around good car, just not taken as far by the factory as the STI and the Evo 8. My take on it.

furpo

ok st 205 specs http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/Toyota_GT ... ST205.html

the evo 8 us specs
http://www.fastlane.com.au/News_Mitsubi ... _specs.htm

the evo 8 uk specs, this dosn't say much other than 330hp
http://www.fast-autos.net/mitsubishi/mi ... fq330.html

the sti us spec
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/sti2004.html or http://www.j-garage.com/4100.htm

i just think that 300+ hp for the evo8 and top of the line sti is a bit much for a similar weight car that has not had 10 years of refinement to keep up with. there is a reason why the st205 is no longer competitive in production car rallying. it is because cars like the evo and sti have out developed it.

this is not to say that the st205 is not a good car. in it's day it did win. as for bang for your buck i beleave all three model celicas take alot of beating.

as for mods. with the price difference between the st205 and the new evo or sti there is alot of money to through at the st205 to get it to the same price range so a bit of everything could be in order.

burden

the evo is a bit out of the league because it's compensating for less horsepower (depending on which model evo u're talking about) with prowess in the suspension and drivetrain department. so let's take the sti and the st205. that i know of, there isn't anything super technical about the sti's suspension setup and drivetrain. it's full-time awd, no computers, no nothing controlling the grip, right? so say we take the st205 to 300 hp simply by boosting more, probly to 19 or 20 psi (10hp per psi)...and shit, say we upgrade the brakes to brembo or whatnot to put it up to par with the sti's....those things alone, can the st205 hang with the subaru?

furpo

i completly agree. do some small mods to the st205 ang it will be on par with the evo or sti. the same would apply to older evos and sti's. my point is people modify there cars if they care about how quick it is so the only way it matters how fast a standard car is is in production car racing.

roger

illGT4

furpo":2d8b5n4b said:
there is a reason why the st205 is no longer competitive in production car rallying. it is because cars like the evo and sti have out developed it.

The reason for the ST205 not being competive in rally is because of disqualification. After that TTE move onto the Corolla.

It wasn't because the EVO and STi out developed it. :) Toyota's exit in rally was to focus on Formula Atlantic post '98.