Bursting coolant hoses

Mattst165

First gen 3sgte. Today my upper radiator hose exploded, making it the 3rd hose in 2 weeks. The car runs perfect, idles perfect, doesn't smoke, no coolant in oil. Have any of you experienced something similar? What could be causing such excessive pressure in the cooling system? The car has an aftermarket dualcore radiator also.

Mattst165

alltrac801":l9ep9z0s said:
Is it the same hose or a different hose every time?

It's been different every time. First it was one of the heater hoses from the firewall, then the small U shaped coolant hose behind the motor, now the upper radiator hose.

r-town

Mattst165":15xso42o said:
alltrac801":15xso42o said:

It's been different every time. First it was one of the heater hoses from the firewall, then the small U shaped coolant hose behind the motor, now the upper radiator hose.

This happened with my a JDM 3SGTE swap on my ST185, most of the hoses fell apart over time:
Hose from hell
Hose from hell on earth
Upper elbow
Turbo coolant lines
etc.

I think the engine sat outside (exposed) in a yard for a long time.

Mattst165

r-town":247onih7 said:
Mattst165":247onih7 said:
alltrac801":247onih7 said:

This happened with my a JDM 3SGTE swap on my ST185, most of the hoses fell apart over time:
Hose from hell
Hose from hell on earth
Upper elbow
Turbo coolant lines
etc.

I think the engine sat outside (exposed) in a yard for a long time.

The car definitely sat for a long time at one point. But the hoses, especially the upper radiator hose weren't in all that bad shape. And they've popped one after the other. I replace one, bleed the system, drive for a day, then bam again.

alltrac801

That's exactly what happened to me too. I changed all the coolant hoses on my car and havent had a problem in like 3 or 4 years now.

Magroo

Ditto, this happened to me about 5 years ago after I swapped in a jdm engine. Ended up just replacing everything that was left after I had 3 hoses go.

Btw the hfh and hfhoe arent really that bad to change on our cars since the front of the engine isnt right up against the firewall like in an mr2. The hfhoe can be changed just pulling the alternator and brackets out of the way. The hfh can be changed by removing the oil filter and cooler and use a long set of needlenose with a 45* angle on it.

Mattst165

alltrac801":stqmrc7u said:
That's exactly what happened to me too. I changed all the coolant hoses on my car and havent had a problem in like 3 or 4 years now.

Every day another would burst? I'm wondering if the upgraded radiator is just too much for the old hoses. It's just going to be a pain if I go in tomorrow and replace every hose for the same thing to keep happening.

alltrac801

Mattst165":1bt7vghx said:
Every day another would burst? I'm wondering if the upgraded radiator is just too much for the old hoses. It's just going to be a pain if I go in tomorrow and replace every hose for the same thing to keep happening.

Yeah first my radiator was leaking a little so I replaced it. Then my upper radiator hose blew and it didn't look bad. Next, a few days late, another coolant hose off the coolant tree burst. After another couple days a coolant hose under the previous hose burst! So I said F it and replaced all coolant hoses.

Mattst165

Well I've replaced both upper and lower hoses, took it for a test drive today, and it did fine until I got home. Popped the hood and the upper hose looked like it was seconds away from exploding. After about 10 mins of it being off I start to hear hissing from what sounded like inside the rad, hose was still horribly swollen. At this point the system has been flushed nearly 10 times. I went to a few auto parts stores to dig through their radiator caps and I can't find a single one that will fit this aftermarket rad. The lower hose isn't swollen at all, just the upper. Really stumped on this

Magroo

It could very well be a head gasket.

One more thing I would check is to make sure you radiator fan is turning on. If you unplug the lower radiator temperature switch it should force the fan to turn on.

Mattst165

Magroo":7eguh21f said:
It could very well be a head gasket.

One more thing I would check is to make sure you radiator fan is turning on. If you unplug the lower radiator temperature switch it should force the fan to turn on.

The fan is wired to run 100% of the time, no issue there. I'm skeptical considering the head gasket because even if it was, wouldn't it still relieve excessive pressure and into the reservoir tank if the system was working properly? Also like I stated the car runs perfectly fine, no coolant in oil, white smoke, and there are no exhaust gas bubbles when I have it running with the cap off.

Mattst165":1usua8y3 said:
The fan is wired to run 100% of the time, no issue there. I'm skeptical considering the head gasket because even if it was, wouldn't it still relieve excessive pressure and into the reservoir tank if the system was working properly? Also like I stated the car runs perfectly fine, no coolant in oil, white smoke, and there are no exhaust gas bubbles when I have it running with the cap off.
And what is the radiator cap pressure relief valve that you are using?

Mattst165

93celicaconv":2fkm2amc said:
Mattst165":2fkm2amc said:
And what is the radiator cap pressure relief valve that you are using?

It's the off brand cap that came with the radiator, it's 1.1 bar which I believe is 16 psi? From what I've seen these cars are supposed to have 13-14 psi radiator caps. I can't find a replacement cap that will fit anywhere. So I'm thinking my next move is to just buy an oem radiator and run with the stock cap.

1.1 bar is 16 psi.

Did the cap really come with the radiator? Or did you acquire the car with the aftermarket radiator and cap?

I do believe every style of cap out there can be had as 14 psi or 16 psi. I wouldn't change the radiator. I do believe hoses get old and brittle, and if that is followed by an increase in pressure, this hose bursting trend will likely continue, but in all honesty, it will happen with a 14 psi cap too, just a little later in time. If your engine was previously run hard and had a lot of heat soak in the engine compartment, your hoses, wiring connectors, etc., are likely all getting very brittle.

underscore

I'd pull the rad and do a pressure test of the cap before buying a whole new rad. I've had two no name caps that were faulty from the start, both came with the rads and both wouldn't hold pressure, but I could see a poorly made cap hold too much pressure as well.

Or a cap not made for the radiator neck - sometimes a cap has a longer distance from the seal under the cap (top of the radiator neck) to the relief seal (bottom sealing surface within the neck), causing the spring to be pushed together farther than it was designed, which causes a significantly higher force (system pressure) before it releases. I would look at that cap to ensure it is the proper one for that radiator.

Mattst165

the car came with this radiator and cap, it made a 4 hr drive back home with no issue, the next day is when it started. Like I said earlier in the post I've gone to 3 different places and I can't find any cap that will fit this radiator. An oem radiator is only 100$ and I'd trust it more than this offbrand aluminum one, I've had issues with them on other cars.