Reliability of Pop-Up Headlights?

fallbrookcelica

I have a ST185 All-Trac, 1990. I'm wondering if the pop-up headlight mechanism is reliable for years to come. Mine are working fine. Does anyone know how often these pop-up mechanisms fail?
Asking because I found a wreck-yard that has two ST185s with these lights and undamaged front ends. Wanting to know if I should go to the trouble of pulling a set out as back-up for mine. You have to self-dismantle at this yard, so it could be a big job to get them out. Anyone done it? How hard is it?
OR, maybe not worth it if they rarely fail.
Thanks for feedback! :)

underscore

Two ST185s in one yard? That sounds almost unbelievable. I'd be grabbing the whole rear end of the suspension/drivetrain as well if you have the space to store it.

I can't say I've heard of many failing but given the age of these cars having spares on hand is never a bad idea. Getting them out is pretty easy, with the bumper taken off I think there's two bolts from the front and two from the top holding the whole assembly on. I'd snip the wiring and keep the plugs for convenience and as spares.

Corey

Hi,

I've never had an issue with the pop-ups on my 185, but I'm sure it's a matter of time, the car is 31 years old after all.

Might be worth collecting the pop-up electric motors from the wrecked Celica to keep as spares.

fallbrookcelica

Ah, thank you for your replies. And, AH, I misspoke the model number of the two cars in the yard. They are not All-Trac ST185, they are GTs, ST184.
Sorry! That would be something very unusual indeed. My mistake!

Appreciate the feedback. It'll probably be more work getting the bumpers off than pulling out the headlights. But, I think I'll give it a go, so as to have the spares as you suggest. I'm guessing the lights are the same in the GTs as in the All-Trac for early 1990s. Is that a correct assumption?
Thanks for the feedback.

Rick89GTS

Yes, stock up on any parts you can lay your hands on. I took spare pop-up light assemblies from a 162 for my 165 just in case.

underscore

The bumpers come off pretty easily, the only trick is pulling the edges of the bumper out to the sides to get it to pop off the fender clips. If they're widebodies I'd snag the fenders as well if they're in good shape. Start with whichever side has the worse fender so if you damage anything getting it off it's not a big deal.

sefiroxx

91 bought new, never a failure. Bought, front end has been hit 3 times. Been picking up spare parts, headlights etc figuring parts availability in the future would be slim.