St185 rear quarters panel compatibility

GT4ZBoy

Hi everyone,

I’m restoring an all trac and curious if the Quarter panels from a 5th gen GT liftback is interchangeable with a st184/st185?

The Lower rocker portion section behind the door is the area I really need. As you guys know, the GTS/All trac wide bodies are hard to come by and was hoping I can cut the lower portions off of a GT/Liftback if it’s identical. Thanks in advance!

I believe coupe & hatchback doors are interchangeable. So I think the lower quarter right at the door opening would be geometrically the same. But as you go towards the back, at some point not to far from the door opening, the geometry changes. So it depends upon how far back you intend to go.

On coupes, there is no plastic rocker cover like used on the hatchbacks. So for the lower quarter, for sure from there on back it is different. Just don't know how far forward you have to go.

Maybe your best bet is to go to a salvage yard that has 5th Gen coupes in it and do some comparisons.

GT4ZBoy

Attached pic for around the area I need to replace for the Lower rocker to be rewield on to. If I can find a Wide body, I’d consider cutting most the quarter panel since there’s some rust. Again, not sure if the non wide body versions fit.

Are the GT liftback Identical the the widebody? At least the portion I need? I’ll check at some local junkyards but the ones with the liftback body style are far away and want to make sure before I make the trek.

Attachments

• 8E857079-EE7F-4750-A252-3BB5B3FA8C24.jpeg
    8E857079-EE7F-4750-A252-3BB5B3FA8C24.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 33
What is visible for rust is pretty significant. What is not visible I'm sure will be way, way more.

The GT hatchback rockers are consistent from front to back - the GT-S & All-Trac rockers are much different after the door openings going to the rear as they employ the plastic molded rocker covers. And above the rockers, the GT-S & All-Trac quarter-panels bulge out while the GT hatchback stays in tight. Based on what you have, the GT hatchback quarter-panels will not be of value to you.

I just sold a near-mint 92 GT-S - but one in that condition will not be offered as a donor for yours. Others that are broken down in salvage yards will likely look similar to yours. The best way to find good complete used quarter-panels is from a good driver GT-S that had a frontal collision (or two GT-S's that were hit on opposite sides). You can search on www.car-part.com for salvage GT-S models near you and call to see what the cost of a complete good set of rear quarter-panels would cost if you find a good donor (some listings provide pictures of the salvage cars).