Afm extension 90 alltrac

Looking for parts, ask around!

Afm extension 90 alltrac

Postby blk90celica-ht » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:20 pm

Anyone have or know where I can get an extension harness for the afm for a 1990 alltrac?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
blk90celica-ht
Club Member

Re: Afm extension 90 alltrac

Postby grip-addict » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:47 pm

You most likely will have to extend it yourself unless you can find something on ebay. Parts for us are a bit harder to find these days.

No worries though ! Just get some crimpable butt connectors with integrated heat shrink and then just add the required amount of wire. The afm doesn't have shielded wire so just normal txl is fine to use.
grip-addict
Club Member

Postby Alikazam » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:21 am

grip-addict wrote:You most likely will have to extend it yourself unless you can find something on ebay. Parts for us are a bit harder to find these days.

No worries though ! Just get some crimpable butt connectors with integrated heat shrink and then just add the required amount of wire. The afm doesn't have shielded wire so just normal txl is fine to use.

What he said! If you want to make it nice-ish, pick up some friction tape to wrap it up after you're done. Also I recommend offset cutting the wires so that all the crimps are not bunched up together... Good luck! (I had to cut it some bad wires on my old 98 4runner to the afm and did this).
1990 Celica Alltrac - Emma
Gen 3 engine
KO Racing Street Brawler - Precision 5130 Turbo
KO Racing In Factory ECU Case - Link G4x ECU
327 AWHP @ 18psi - pump gas
Alikazam
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby lalojamesliz1 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:41 pm

I also just extended the wiring with some 14 guage wires. Solder the connections, clean off the flux and heat shrink wrap them
91 Celica all-trac gen3 swap (small-med $$$ sponge)
69 mustang 408w (large $$$ sponge)
08 sequoia 5.7L
14 avalon
02 taco dbl cab V6 turd
and a 2 car garage :shoots:
lalojamesliz1
Club Member

Postby grip-addict » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:22 pm

Not trying to be critical here, but crimping is preferred to solder in vibration environments since the solder can crack/break over time.
That being said, if you DO have to solder, potting, or at a minimum, using glue-lined shrink wrap can provide enough strain relief to hopefully mitigate. A properly done crimp won't have a breakage issue though. Just remember to do the tug test after you crimp.
14 # is pretty big and will work just fine, but you can go smaller without issue on sensors. 20-22 gauge is fine for the AFM.
grip-addict
Club Member

Postby Alikazam » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:33 pm

grip-addict wrote:Not trying to be critical here, but crimping is preferred to solder in vibration environments since the solder can crack/break over time.
That being said, if you DO have to solder, potting, or at a minimum, using glue-lined shrink wrap can provide enough strain relief to hopefully mitigate. A properly done crimp won't have a breakage issue though. Just remember to do the tug test after you crimp.
14 # is pretty big and will work just fine, but you can go smaller without issue on sensors. 20-22 gauge is fine for the AFM.

I agree for for the most part. If you are going to solder, the western union solder joint is my preferred method.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.instru ... _page=true
1990 Celica Alltrac - Emma
Gen 3 engine
KO Racing Street Brawler - Precision 5130 Turbo
KO Racing In Factory ECU Case - Link G4x ECU
327 AWHP @ 18psi - pump gas
Alikazam
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Return to Parts Wanted