Corolla GR Is coming.

freddie

Red CelicaTRD chin up it is not all that bad. So US missed out on the Yaris GR,
but US will not miss out on the new Toyota Corolla GR.

Yes it is true a Corolla GR is in the Toyota production line. It is due to be released
late 2022 or early 2023. And definitely a high performance version GR (Gazoo Racing)
Toyota is targeting the US market and in their sights is the Honda Civic sales.
Not to mention all the other hot hatches through out the world selling well.

What engine they will use is anybodies guess, but it will be 2litre. The other thing
it will be a 4 door hatch. (or 5 door lol) 2 door hatches do not sell well any more.

There is heaps of speculation running around out there in the motoring journo world
is ripe, what the shape it will be and the specifications.

If any of you guys have more news please post here.

RedCelicaTRD

I’ve heard it will either use the GR Yaris 3 cylinder at 270hp, maybe 300hp, or a 4 cylinder. The 4 cylinder could possibly be a “performance” hybrid setup. I do like the Corolla hatchback, but I’ll wait and see which engine gets picked.

There is also talk of bringing the Celica back, but it’s going to be a WRX twin with the 2.4L and the size of an Impreza wagon. From what I understand there is a push from within the company to get this done but it’s not 100%. Of course this rumor shows up every time Toyota renews the Celica trademark and they did that in January of this year.

Roreri

Toyota has a Celica, except it's not a Toyota or a Celica. But they won't call it a Celica. Though the 86 is a rebadged Subaru and has zero evolutionary ties to the Celica, I can easily imagine the Celica--had it been continued--evolving into something like the 86.

A Corolla GR is interesting. Any chance it might be an AWD vehicle? If so, I imagine it would be so in the modern sense of AWD systems.

underscore

What's the seating position like in the Corolla? I like to be as low down as possible in a sports car, so the super high seats in the Yaris seemed a bit odd to me. Not like I can get one anyways, but still.

5 doors, at least as an option, would be perfect for me. I can at least attempt to pitch that as a family vehicle without having to sell my Celica. I imagine it'll be expensive though. Maybe not compared to cars with similar performance, but when a regular one starts at 20k a GR might be a harder sell for us normal folks.

abeans

I currently daily drive a Mk7 Golf R Manual. This is the only car ive been scoping out to consider swapping for it. I think the corolla is a great looking car, in GR trim it might look quite bad ass, and if the drivetrain is similar to the Yaris, the europeans have giving it heavy praise for its lively fun-to-driveness.

Bq2PLi6l.jpg

CMS-GT4

I was following the GR Corolla news for the past year. Last week's news was, it is slated for the end of 2022 but could arrive earlier if supply shortages get better. I was planning on getting this if it does come out, but I have decided to seek something else out.
As for the Corrolla chassis. I have been watching builds of it. Seems it is a pretty good car and can fit 255s under the stock fenders. If they add some flares like the Yaris then maybe we can expect more. The only thing I do not look forward to on it is they assume it will get the same dumb black roof as the TRD Camry. Black roofs can be done well but they failed on the pillar blending. There was also a rumor Europe gets a wagon option for it.

RedCelicaTRD

If it has the 3-cylinder I won't buy it. I read a rumor that the engine that might be used is the 2.4L turbo out of the Lexus NX. The 2.4L is the same series block as the current corolla engine and also uses AWD in the Lexus. I would be interested in something like that. I think it's a possibility since the engine has already been certified in the US and with the 3-cylinder they would need to do EPA certification for a limited use engine that only going in a small amount of cars. This doesn't really sound like the current Toyota mindset in my opinion. Hell, they won't build any sports cars without using a different brand engine. I think it will be a bit of a PR failure if they use the 3-cylinder turbo engines that Americans will complain about how they lack torque.

CMS-GT4

If it is a low-run car, I have a feeling those who are clamoring over the Yaris might still buy it and it will sell out. I rather they use the 8AR since it is supposed to be the successor to the 3sgte as well as already offered as a crate racing engine from Toyota. My original interest in it was that it would have 4 doors based on a corolla. I am no longer in the life of the 2 door sports car.

CMS-GT4":ilcekzvx said:
If it is a low-run car, I have a feeling those who are clamoring over the Yaris might still buy it and it will sell out. I rather they use the 8AR since it is supposed to be the successor to the 3sgte as well as already offered as a crate racing engine from Toyota. My original interest in it was that it would have 4 doors based on a corolla. I am no longer in the life of the 2 door sports car.

I wish they had made the FR-S/86 with the 8AR-FTS. Seemed like a good fit in my head, but I'm just a guy on the internet. Of course, it probably would have suffered the same fate as the S-FR if it hadn't been manufactured by/with Subaru.

I just hope the Corolla GR winds up with a Toyota drivetrain.

Also, @RedCelicaTRD - you don't want the Corolla GR with the 3 cylinder but wish the GR Yaris was available...assuming because the Corolla is bigger/4door/heavier that you feel this way?

RedCelicaTRD

scandinavian link":35d6k8i2 said:
CMS-GT4":35d6k8i2 said:
Also, @RedCelicaTRD - you don't want the Corolla GR with the 3 cylinder but wish the GR Yaris was available...assuming because the Corolla is bigger/4door/heavier that you feel this way?

Yes, bigger car so I wish it would have a little bigger engine. The recent press releases make it look like it will have the 3 cylinder so I am probably going to pass on the Corolla. My wife works at a Toyota dealer so I will probably have the opportunity to drive one but so far I haven't seen anything that would make me willing to put money down.

underscore

I recently saw some Aussies getting 470hp out of a Yaris with minimal modifications, so I wouldn't mind it having that drivetrain. I'm just trying not to get too stoked on it until I hear if Canada is getting it or not.

RedCelicaTRD

underscore":1ztb2nag said:
I recently saw some Aussies getting 470hp out of a Yaris with minimal modifications, so I wouldn't mind it having that drivetrain. I'm just trying not to get too stoked on it until I hear if Canada is getting it or not.

I know the Motive people are making good power but They have a new ecu, turbo, intercooler, etc. I wouldn’t consider that minimal modifications.

Right now I daily ‘19 Avalon and drive 100 miles a day (with 2000’ of elevation change one direction) for work. The Corolla keeps pulling me back because it will probably beat my 29mpg but it will be hard for me to part with the comfort of the Avalon. I’m hoping the turbo in the Corolla will mean it won’t have to downshift on the freeway going up hills and that’s part of the reason I was hoping for the 4 cylinder. Oh well. I’ll just wait and see.

RedCelicaTRD

I'm going to skip this. While it does have 300hp which is very nice, the initial demand for this is going to be so high it will be a pain to get one.

However, the regular Corolla has a 5x100 wheel pattern and a 54.1 center bore. Same as the ST185. Maybe the GR front brakes will fit?

underscore

I keep flip flopping on it a bit. On the one hand it's exactly what I need, and while it'll be expensive everything is expensive right now. On the other it's sounding like getting one, let alone getting one spec'd the way I want, is going to be a huge pain and may take a long time.

RedCelicaTRD

underscore":347al8ve said:
It's 5x114.3 so not a direct swap but I'm sure someone will find a way to make it fit.

I don’t think I’ve seen anything definitive. If they carry everything from the Yaris it would be 5x114, but the regular Corolla is 5x100 so I’ve got my fingers crossed.