Cherry : Restomod project

Talk about your project car here

Cherry : Restomod project

Postby 819_ay » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:20 pm

A little backstory on the car, I bought this 92 Gt-Four RC back in 2012 when I was young and stupid and didn't realize the true value of these cars. I had another Gt-Four A at the time, that was always broken and taking up all my money. So I parked the RC in the garage and started taking it apart with the idea of building something with it, so now it's on jack stands fully striped ….fast forward to December 2019 I sold my Gt-four A and now I can finally start restoring my Gt-Four RC. The car has been on jack stands since 2012 in my garage, only some surface rust underneath and some dents here and there but otherwise the body is pretty mint. So as of now my goal is total resto-mod project.

So I started the work winter of 2020, in my free time at night and a couple hours when I can on my days off, I’ve been doing everything myself . So far I have por15’ed the underside and wheel wells. Refurbished the gas tank in and out with por15 products. Powder coated everything I can, front and rear control arms, steering knuckles, rear diff. the rear sub frame was painted with por15 as I it doesn’t fit in my powder coating oven. Almost all the bolts will be getting zinc plated with Army grade Green plating. New brake lines to the back, I'll also have new AN6 SS braided fuel/return lines
I have a lot of work ahead but I’m fully committed to getting this car finished. I’ll post updates here, but I also post everything on my Instagram ( @milo_gt4) .

Here is the parts list so far:
GT4racing poly bushings all around , Poly front end links and their steering rack poly bushings
Xiiimotorsport rear subframe bushings with the solid diff plate
Whiteline rear swaybar
Racing beat rear endlinks
New bearings all around
SS braided brake hoses
ST205 Rear Brakes with new OEM rotors
Porsche 986 front Calipers
312mm Front disk(haven’t purchased yet but will eventually)
Feal 441+ Coilovers with swift springs
J-Speed rear strut/floor bar
TWM short shifter
dodge neon front strut bar

My goal with this car is to have a fun/reliable street/track/autocross car. When I get to the motor, I’ll be aiming for the 500awhp. I already have a 3rd Gen 3sgte that I will build. If all goes to plan the car will be back on it’s wheels before the snow. Then paint in the spring then I’ll start building the motor. The car should be ready for summer 2023, again if all goes to plan lol.

Here are some pictures . find it easier to just share a drive folder then to post pictures here.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Last edited by 819_ay on Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
819_ay
Club Member

Re: Cherry : Restomod project

Postby Roreri » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:28 pm

Dang! I tell you what. I am looking at underbody protection and it sounds like from your detailed and aggressive approach you have some knowledge to share in that regard.

Rock on!
Roreri
Club Member

Postby grip-addict » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:06 am

Mine looks like that too but it's from all the oil leaks and not por15.
Yours looks great though ! That'll keep for a LOOOOONG time. Nice work !!
If there are any hard to reach spots, 3m makes an underbody rubberized spray that I find works well. That's and fluid film works excellent for cavities (like I'd you need to spray inside box steel, or in my case, from inside the fender and onto the frame rail itself).

Good luck with the resto ! You're going the hard, long way but it'll definitely pay off! Have a turbo/ cam profile picked out yet?
grip-addict
Club Member

Postby Roreri » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:22 am

819-ay and grip-addict if I were to apply Por15 and that 3M spray (exact name?) to the undercarriage of my ST185 could I expect similar or greatly increased resistance to rust? Or is it the kind of thing that really requires a down to the frame approach? I’m hoping to keep mine for 20 years or more if I can. I’ll be in Colorado eventually, so away from the salt.
Roreri
Club Member

Postby 819_ay » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:19 pm

Roreri wrote:Dang! I tell you what. I am looking at underbody protection and it sounds like from your detailed and aggressive approach you have some knowledge to share in that regard.

Rock on!

Thanks, what I did was, clean with a degreaser, wire wheeled as much rust off as possible, treated with por15 metal prep, Rince with water let dry then two coats of por15.

grip-addict wrote:Mine looks like that too but it's from all the oil leaks and not por15.
Yours looks great though ! That'll keep for a LOOOOONG time. Nice work !!
If there are any hard to reach spots, 3m makes an underbody rubberized spray that I find works well. That's and fluid film works excellent for cavities (like I'd you need to spray inside box steel, or in my case, from inside the fender and onto the frame rail itself).

Good luck with the resto ! You're going the hard, long way but it'll definitely pay off! Have a turbo/ cam profile picked out yet?

It's definitely the hard and long way, but should last another 30 years when I'm all done. Yeah I'll probably buy a couple cans of the rubberized spray for the hard to reach spots and the most rust prone spots as well. The car won't see any snow/salt for the rest of its lifetime, so that helps

I haven't picked out a turbo/cam setup yet, I'm just trying to go one thing at a time for now. Engine will most likely be next spring/summer, the car should be a rolling shell by then!
819_ay
Club Member

Postby grip-addict » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:47 pm

Roreri wrote:819-ay and grip-addict if I were to apply Por15 and that 3M spray (exact name?) to the undercarriage of my ST185 could I expect similar or greatly increased resistance to rust? Or is it the kind of thing that really requires a down to the frame approach? I’m hoping to keep mine for 20 years or more if I can. I’ll be in Colorado eventually, so away from the salt.

both work, and both methods are better than not doing anything :) Whichever one is better, I'm not quite sure.

POR (paint over rust)15 requires there to be actual rust that has already permeated the surface of the metal to work. You agitate the rust with a scrub brush and get all the flakes and loose bits off, then give it a wipe down and hand-paint the POR15 onto the surface. If there is no rust but you still want to apply POR15, you need to clean the metal then apply a same-brand primer first. POR15 is pretty thick and resilient stuff.

The 3m rubberized undercoating is easier to apply in that it is a spray-on application, but you'll still want to do the same process of removing any loose rust first. In my case (sorry if we are threadjacking 819_ay), I scrubbed what I could, hit the damaged areas with plenty of rust converter, then went over it with the rubberized spray. It's my go-to method if I don't have enough room to work a paintbrush.
grip-addict
Club Member

Postby 819_ay » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:21 pm

From what I've read, por15 doesn't need to be applied on rust to work. When applied to existing rust it will stop it from spreading. And when applied to metal it will protect it from rusting. Either way the metal needs to be clean, free of loose metal/dirt, and dry.
Por15 has a product called metal prep which is basically a rust converter and applies a zinc coating before applying the por15. I didn't use a primer before applying, just the process mentioned.
819_ay
Club Member

Postby Roreri » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:59 pm

Sorry for the hijack but thank you for the details--I'll look to do this myself! Looking forward to seeing the progress of this project.
Roreri
Club Member

Postby 819_ay » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:51 pm

No problem! I'm all about helping others!

Picked up another batch of bolts from the Plating place
Attachments
20211021_125043.jpg
819_ay
Club Member

Return to My Project