Timing for 3SGE Cams in a ST165

From Tune Ups to Oil Changes, maintenance related

Moderator: toayoztan

Timing for 3SGE Cams in a ST165

Postby Mateo » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:56 am

The previous owner of my 165 swapped over 3SGE cams and did adjustable cam gears, intake timing was advanced 5° and exhaust was retarted 5°. I just set them to 0° and tried to set timing and it maxes out at 5° on the crank. What should I do in order to set it to the proper 10°?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Mateo
Club Member

1988 Toyota Celica

Re: Timing for 3SGE Cams in a ST165

Postby grip-addict » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:23 pm

The way you would normally set timing with factory cams and gears is that you would set both of the cams straight up on the notch marks in the cam cover and then have the crank pulley set at 0 on the lower cover. Everything is essentially zeroed out here, then you start the car, lock the timing with the diagnostic box, then physically move the distributor while checking with the timing light until you get the crank pulley to light up at 10 degrees advanced.

Having the cams straight up but the crank at 5 or 10° will be too advanced.
grip-addict
Club Member

Re: Timing for 3SGE Cams in a ST165

Postby Mateo » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:21 pm

That's how I had it set up when I did my head gasket, I had the distributor all the way back and the adjustment maxed out at 5° on the crank. Because the NA cams open up 7 degrees earlier, I set the intake to 7° advanced which should work the best if I'm understanding that right.
Mateo
Club Member

1988 Toyota Celica

Return to General Maintenance and Repair