Re-build 1990 ST185 GT4 turbo

New members MUST post a new intro thread before they can access the rest of the forum.

Re-build 1990 ST185 GT4 turbo

Postby baldheadcar » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:54 pm

Just replaced all the brake lines and fuel lines last Saturday. My car has been sitting in the driveway since 2008. The engine bay looks clean. Need to replace all four tires/brake and rotor. Already set up with the painter to repaint and re-upholstery the whole car. I am located in North Brunswick, NJ. I am wondering if there are members in NJ that can recommend any good mechanic that knows how to fine-tune or modify this kind of car. Any assistance is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
baldheadcar
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:24 pm

Re: Re-build 1990 ST185 GT4 turbo

Postby Tippo » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:50 pm

baldheadcar wrote:Just replaced all the brake lines and fuel lines last Saturday. My car has been sitting in the driveway since 2008. The engine bay looks clean. Need to replace all four tires/brake and rotor. Already set up with the painter to repaint and re-upholstery the whole car. I am located in North Brunswick, NJ. I am wondering if there are members in NJ that can recommend any good mechanic that knows how to fine-tune or modify this kind of car. Any assistance is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!


PrimeDriven is very familiar with the 3sgte platform and are local to you. I don't think they take on projects anymore, but they can certainly help with pointing you in the right direction locally. TCS is another 3sgte specialist, so you can always ask them as well.
Most of us just work on the cars ourselves with some help of friends and the website. Let us know if you have any questions.
1992 SW20 MR2 Turbo 4th Gen 3SGTE Swap. Aquamarine Pearl. "Priscilla"
1992 ST185 Celica All-Trac Turbo 4th Gen 3SGTE Swap. Teal Metallic. "Lazarus"
1990 ST185 Cellica All-Trac Turbo. Grey Metallic. "Mirum"
User avatar
Tippo
Club Member
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:31 am
Location: CT

Re: Re-build 1990 ST185 GT4 turbo

Postby baldheadcar » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:59 pm

Hi Tippo,
Thanks for the info!
baldheadcar
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:24 pm

Re: Re-build 1990 ST185 GT4 turbo

Postby baldheadcar » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:16 pm

Hi Tippo,
I can't find any TCS that deals with cars. Can you provide me with the full name?
You are right that PrimeDriven no longer deals with cars.
Best,
baldheadcar
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:24 pm

Re: Re-build 1990 ST185 GT4 turbo

Postby Tippo » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:30 pm

baldheadcar wrote:Hi Tippo,
I can't find any TCS that deals with cars. Can you provide me with the full name?
You are right that PrimeDriven no longer deals with cars.
Best,


Was prime able to give you any pointers on anyone who are local experts? TCS is TCS motorsports. They primarily work with 3sgte platform for MR2 turbos. What are you looking to do anyways? Any option to work on it yourself?
1992 SW20 MR2 Turbo 4th Gen 3SGTE Swap. Aquamarine Pearl. "Priscilla"
1992 ST185 Celica All-Trac Turbo 4th Gen 3SGTE Swap. Teal Metallic. "Lazarus"
1990 ST185 Cellica All-Trac Turbo. Grey Metallic. "Mirum"
User avatar
Tippo
Club Member
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:31 am
Location: CT

Re: Re-build 1990 ST185 GT4 turbo

Postby baldheadcar » Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:58 pm

I didn't approach them because the way I look at their website just selling merchandise instead of garage types of business. TCS is located in KY quite far away from NJ. I didn't use my car since 2008 due to the brake line leaking brake fluid. Since then, leave it in the driveway for 14 years. Last week a friend of mine came from Toronto who also has a GT4 and said it was a waste not to fix it. Now I make up my mind to rebuild it. There is quite a lot of upgrade on that car but the mechanic who worked on my car left the country a couple of years ago. I am planning to replace the turbo and upgrade ECU to Autronic SMC ECU. Too bad ATS is located in Texas. Maybe have to ship the car to them after the repaint job if I cannot find any mechanic in the tri-state area to work on it.
baldheadcar
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:24 pm

Re: Re-build 1990 ST185 GT4 turbo

Postby Tippo » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:10 pm

baldheadcar wrote:I didn't approach them because the way I look at their website just selling merchandise instead of garage types of business. TCS is located in KY quite far away from NJ. I didn't use my car since 2008 due to the brake line leaking brake fluid. Since then, leave it in the driveway for 14 years. Last week a friend of mine came from Toronto who also has a GT4 and said it was a waste not to fix it. Now I make up my mind to rebuild it. There is quite a lot of upgrade on that car but the mechanic who worked on my car left the country a couple of years ago. I am planning to replace the turbo and upgrade ECU to Autronic SMC ECU. Too bad ATS is located in Texas. Maybe have to ship the car to them after the repaint job if I cannot find any mechanic in the tri-state area to work on it.


Wish I can help ya out here. I'd not repaint it until all the mechanical work is done, just my 2 cents. If you ever want to let her go let me know, but she's definitely worth fixing. All of what you mentioned above is what I had to do to my car. It was not cheap, nor was it easy. I'm in Lazarus around 16k so far, most of the work I've done myself (aside the motor swap). so it's not for the feint of heart.
Last edited by Tippo on Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
1992 SW20 MR2 Turbo 4th Gen 3SGTE Swap. Aquamarine Pearl. "Priscilla"
1992 ST185 Celica All-Trac Turbo 4th Gen 3SGTE Swap. Teal Metallic. "Lazarus"
1990 ST185 Cellica All-Trac Turbo. Grey Metallic. "Mirum"
User avatar
Tippo
Club Member
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:31 am
Location: CT

Re: Re-build 1990 ST185 GT4 turbo

Postby 93celicaconv » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:40 pm

Tippo wrote:Wish I can help ya out here. I'd not repaint it until all the mechanical work is done, just my 2 cents. If you ever want to let her go let me know, but she's definitely worth fixing. All of what you mentioned above is what I had to do to my car. It was not cheap, nor was it easy. I'm in Lazarus around 16k so far, most of the work I've done myself. so it's not for the feint of heart.

I agree with Tippo. Work on the restoration/repairs from the inside out. Do the exterior work after the mechanicals and any interior work is done.
93celicaconv
Club Member
 
Posts: 908
Images: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:08 am


Return to New Member Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest